Wolf Awareness School Programs are designed to offer a unique glimpse at how large carnivores can affect the health of entire ecosystems.
Hank Halliday, retired teacher and founder of Wolf Awareness, developed an award-winning integrated studies program that focuses on important environmental and ecological issues. Today, we offer a number of curriculum-based education programs for schools in various formats.
we can deliver one or a series of presentations to individual classes or group
Wolf Awareness presentations are designed to heighten awareness and enrich learning about the important ecological roles of apex predators, and foster an appreciation for and understanding of naturally functioning ecosystems. Presentations reinforce that people are part of ecosystems; posing problems and solutions. Participants gain a sense of stewardship.
we can provide teachers with a manual for a “tried and true” integrated studies program
Using the wolf as a barometer of our planet’s environmental status, this curriculum has heightened the awareness and enriched the learning of youngsters…. Using primary sources and field data as a basis for true-to-life problem situations, students increasingly become self-motivated, self-directed problem-solvers.
Our School Programs are designed specially for:
Intermediate, middle and independent school level
· How Living things sense and respond to their environment
· First Peoples concepts of interconnectedness in the environment
· Diversity and survival of living things
· Energy flow in ecosystems; trophic cascades
High school level (and independent) programs
· Sustainability of ecosystems
· Processes of science
· Ecology and conservation biology
· Form and function of vertebrates in predator-prey systems
· Natural resources and the environment, including ecosystem services
· Sustainable use of resources
· Agricultural supports and challenges with natural predators
· Components and interactions of forest ecosystems